The force multiplier for Flexport’s Makers organization
Flexport is hiring a Senior Engineering Manager to lead the engineers on our Application Platform team.
The Application Platform team strives to increase Flexport’s efficiency and effectiveness by providing stable platforms that reduce complexity for other development teams. We solve foundational engineering challenges of a rapidly growing company with the added complexity of the logistics domain that Flexport is in.
You’ll manage a highly technical team of backend and frontend engineers that work primarily on services and components that are consumed by other engineering teams, like our messaging service or design system. You’ll work closely with the other engineering teams that are using these platforms, so you’ll constantly get actionable feedback from your customers.
Here are some of the things we work on:
- Messaging Framework: Utilized across the product to facilitate communication between operations, clients, carriers, and partners. Built using a plugin architecture to support capabilities like attachments and mentions, and JWTs for seamless authorization and configuration
- Jetski: Our work queue framework enables developers to create task lists that end-users need to complete. The framework has time tracking built-in, empowering product and data teams to answer questions around how much time is spent in each stage of a shipment.
- Action Log: Solution for recording user-facing activity histories. We help teams capture semantically meaningful actions which can then be displayed to end-users, sliced or filtered in multiple ways
- Latitude: Our open-sourced design system
- Internal frontend libraries like Formula One, a strongly-typed React forms library with great validation UX
- Lead the team vision, from technical design to rollout
- Facilitate adoption and integration of Application Platform technologies throughout the development organization
- Expertly design and own technical solutions for broad or complex requirements with insightful strategic approaches
- Describe, analyze, and convince others about major technical tradeoffs and decisions
- Inspire amazing engineers that ship new code every day
You should have
- At least 3+ years of experience managing highly productive teams of 8+
- Experiencing lead and/or if you have been part of developer productivity teams that have internal, engineering stakeholders
- Bias for constantly learning new technologies with knowledge of full technical landscape
- Ability to set technical vision for larger projects and coordinate technical work spanning multiple engineering teams
- Next-level analytical problem-solving talent
- Experience in a fast-paced work environment & a bias for action
- You have a product-first approach to building software and you care about the real-world functionality of your programming
- You ship quality code quickly
- Bonus if you have recent development experience with modern front end technologies like React
Our continuous releases are integrated with Buildkite and Github. On the frontend, we create our views with React, manage the flow of data with GraphQL/Relay, and test our application with Jest. On the backend, we’re in the process of decoupling our monolithic Rails app. We have introduced a few network isolated services using other languages, such as Java and Clojure. Our data is persisted in Postgres and Redis. Our stack is hosted on AWS using Docker.
Engineering Culture and Values:
Check out our Key Values profile
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s freight forwarding and why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination and shipment of goods from one place to another and it’s what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.