Staff Software Engineer, Quoting
Build the programs to help Flexport grow
Flexport is a platform for global trade in an industry that comprises 12% of the global GDP. Flexport is building the first modern logistics platform to make global trade easier for everyone. We help the world's fastest-growing brands manage their international supply chains, providing a fully managed service for moving their products between any two places on the planet.
Exceptional software development is integral in allowing us to fulfill our mission of fixing the user experience in global trade. At Flexport you’ll develop products that are at the forefront of reshaping the entire logistics & supply chain industries. You’ll work alongside self-starters interested in solving real-world problems and streamlining the inefficiencies in the complex global trade industry. You’ll have the opportunity to reshape an industry by creating a new operating system for global trade.
Flexport’s business transactions start with a quote, and constructing a competitive and profitable quote quickly is a key differentiator. The industry standard for freight quoting is still a manual and laborious process similar to visiting a travel agent. We want to make freight quoting as easy as booking your flight on a travel website. The quoting engineering team solves the complex problem of combining data from our routing, inventory, pricing, customer preferences, and other systems to generate an end-to-end offer for our customers. Our systems are used by both customers and internal users to manage the entire quote lifecycle.
We're looking for a Staff Software Engineer to develop products at the forefront of reshaping the entire logistics & supply chain industries. You’ll work alongside self-starters interested in solving real-world problems and streamlining the inefficiencies in the complex global trade industry. You’ll have the opportunity to reshape an industry by creating the new operating system for global trade.
- Work closely with business partners and product managers to distill complex business problems into elegant technical solutions.
- Architect and drive major projects while coordinating with multiple stakeholders. We often work on multi-month projects that require phased rollouts and collaboration with cross-functional team members.
- Design systems that represent the real-world intricacies of logistics entities, such as services, rates, charges, quotes, invoices, and pricing.
- Ensure our products maintain a high-quality bar. We believe in anticipating issues by obsessing over metrics and applying key learnings from post-mortems to all our services.
- Tackle difficult and subtle system-level issues, emphasizing simplicity and long-lasting designs. As we extract services out of the monolith, we take pride in untangling legacy code and re-building with composability in mind.
- You play a significant role in the career development of others, actively mentoring and educating the larger software engineering community on trends, technologies, and best practices.
- Geek out about marketplaces, prices, quotes, and logistics. (We do this often)
You Will Build:
- Craft the engineering vision, and own the technical landscape, for a major domain in the world of logistics that powers global trade.
- Design systems that represent the real-world intricacies of business entities, such as quoting, offerings, pricing, invoicing and revenue.
- Model the data structures representing services that customers want and a quote for fulfilling such services.
- Model business process for quoting workflow and automation for customers and internal users, understand root cause, analyze discrepancies, automate remedies/disputes to detect and stop financial leakage.
- Building out a domain model that is extensible for various units that we support today or could support in the future.
You Should Have:
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent experience
- 8+ years of experience writing software, and strong engineering background.
- Experience building large scale, high-performance systems in a complex, multi-tiered, distributed environment.
- The ability to convey technical ideas in common terms to business partners, product managers, designers, and engineers alike.
- We are tech-agnostic regarding candidate background, but our platform is built with Ruby, Rails, Java, React, GraphQL, PostgreSQL
- A bias for action. When you see a problem, you solve it.
- A love of simple, well-tested code that is easy to extend and hard to break.
Our continuous releases are integrated with Buildkite and Github. On the front end, we create our views with React, manage the flow of data with GraphQL/Relay, and test our application with Jest. On the backend, we’re in the process of decoupling our monolithic Rails app. Our data is persisted in Postgres and MongoDB. Our stack is hosted on AWS using Docker, but we are currently migrating to Kubernetes.
Engineering Culture and Values
Check out our Engineering blog.
At Flexport, we believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make it easy and accessible for everyone. We’re shaping the future of a $8.6T industry with solutions powered by innovative technology and exceptional people. Today, companies of all sizes—from emerging brands to Fortune 500s—use Flexport technology to move more than $19B of merchandise across 112 countries a year.
The recent global supply chain crisis has put Flexport center stage as we continue to play a pivotal role in how goods move around the world. At a valuation of $8 billion, we’re experiencing record growth and are proud to have the support of the best investors in the game who believe in our mission, solutions and people. Ready to tackle global challenges that impact business, society, and the environment? Come join us.
Worried about not having any logistics experience?
Don’t be! Our mission is to make global trade easy for everyone. That’s why it’s important to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the global logistics industry forward.
We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
- Account Solutions & Implementation
- Business Enablement
- Business Operations
- Client Solutions
- Data Science & Analytics
- Flexport Ecosystem
- General Management
- Global Brand
- IT, Security & Infrastructure
- Office of CEO
- Office of CTO
- Operational Excellence
- Product Management
- Supply Chain Operations
- Technical Program Management
- Trade & Financial Services
- Trade Lane Management, Fulfillment & Procurement
- User Experience
- Workplace & Facilities
- Ho Chi Minh City
- Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Warehouse
- Los Angeles
- New York City
- San Francisco
- U.S. Remote