Join Flexport to solve real world problems while shaping the future of global trade.
Our Ocean Freight Trade Lane Team is essential to winning new business, supporting all current business, and building out the future of Flexport’s ocean services. As an Ocean Trade Lane Manager - Allocation & Yield, you’ll be an integral part of helping achieve Flexport’s growth goals.
We’re looking for a team member, the key responsibility of your role will be to focus on measuring allocation utilisation and optimise the yield (net revenue) within the trade in order to drive trade growth. Doing so successfully, you will define the most feasible allocation plan which matches with the optimal yield towards each carrier and provide a roadmap / guideline to the Fulfillment team how to execute that successfully without sacrificing the clients’ satisfaction. You will be working closely with the rest of the Trade Lane Team teammates to support the related activities on the assigned trade lanes and ensure a smooth shipment flow, you will also be expected to have a large individual contribution.
- Pair up with the US Allocation and Yield Management team (Transpacific Trade specific) as a counterpart to work on the most optimal allocation plan in consideration of process, yield and carrier strategy.
- Closely monitor and evaluate regularly the plan above described, collect the information from the rest of the Trade Lane Management Team so we can continuously improve the plan.
- Based on the feedback from the rest of the Trade Lane Management Team, need to be Tech focus on where we can streamline / automate the process in a more sustainable way
- Check-in with squads / clients and collect market intelligence about the capacity change of the trade in a regular basis, proactively suggest the carriers allocation with strong commercial sense to the responsible team
- Understand client specific requirements, service disruptions and possible exceptions so we will be able to plan the best for the clients
- Provides directions to team on how to grow the trade strategically in terms of allocation planning, revenue and net revenue, ensure alignment internally within the trade team across two regions
- Monitor performance against targets and utilization of allocation for each carrier. Identify and drive necessary course of action
- Overseeing daily tasks of Ocean Trade Lane Sr Associate/Associate/Analyst to ensure timely follow up the projects roll out
- Work closely with our Overseas Trade Lane counterpart, depends on the trade setup
- Work closely with the fulfillment team to ensure the instruction is clearly aligned
- Continuously identify and execute on efficiencies, ensure compliance with appropriate governmental regulations and company policies.
You should have:
- A minimum of 6 years of prior experience at a top freight forwarder or carrier and a BA/BS Degree
- Solid industry knowledge with an in-depth understanding of ocean freight and carrier management, hand on experience of allocation planning or yield management is a plus
- Next-level attention to detail, think end to end
- Very strong analytical skills and ability to structure, interpret and action data
- Strong in problem solving and project management
- Strong command of English
- Strategic vision and ground floor execution
- Strong team player with self starter attitude and also diligent in follow up and completion
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, organizational skills and strong commercial sense
- Ability to handle change and perform under pressure and tight timeline with great time management skill
- Strong networking skills to build strong relationships with mainly internal stakeholders
- An obsession with client happiness. You succeed when they succeed
- Courage to challenge the status quo when logic and reason require it. See something broken? Fix it!
- The desire to lead, train, and develop up-and-coming industry talent, also a fast learner to adapt to ever changing environment
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s freight forwarding and why does it matter? Listen to Ryan, our CEO explain what freight forwarding is and why improving global trade can help to connect the world and break down economic barriers in this Fast Company Freethink Original Series video.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.