Senior Software Engineer, Finance
We’re reinventing global trade.
Flexport helps more than 10,000 clients and suppliers lead all aspects of their supply chain operations. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B from investors that include SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital, and Y Combinator.
With offices on three continents, our team is as global as our client base and we’re excited to continue building a product and service they love. Wherever you are, whichever role you play, you’re guaranteed to share your day with committed, encouraging, and resourceful team members.
Invoices team is responsible for building software solutions to manage the process of invoicing clients and receiving payments, to enable efficient financial transactions across all Flexport business functions.
- Responsible for a core part of our business infrastructure: making sure that invoices are accurate and complete and that we get paid for them, understanding our shipment costs, and generating actionable insights from transaction data.
- Craft the engineering vision, and own the technical landscape, for a major domain in the world of logistics that powers global trade.
- Build and launch products rapidly and incrementally. We ship to production dozens of times per day.
- Work closely with business partners and product managers to distill complex business problems into elegant technical solutions.
- Geek out about finance, shipping, customs regulations, and logistics.
You will build:
- Build products that support the basic business functions necessary to understand profits and losses. Use technology to optimize, automate, provide insights, and create a customer experience that’ll give us an edge over our competitors.
- Building highly accurate and auditable financial systems that serve many different use cases is a complex architectural challenge.
- Workflow automation presents both technical and user experience challenges.
- Architect software solutions for the internal finance team, internal operations users, and customers. Also build APIs that are consumed by other engineering teams. We provide an infrastructure that is crucial to our business and we interact with all major business units. It’s a great place to learn how our company works.
- Invoice engineering is part of the broader marketplace org, which includes our internal marketplace, quoting, and billing teams. This organization handles how Flexport procures, prices, sells, and collects money for services.
You should have:
- 6+ years of experience writing software, and strong engineering background.
- A love of simple, well-tested code that is easy to extend and hard to break.
- The ability to convey technical ideas in common terms to business partners, product managers, and engineers alike.
- A bias for action. When you see a problem, you solve it.
- Non-optional: an aptitude for learning quickly.
Engineering Culture and Values:
Check out our Key Values profile
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s freight forwarding and why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination and shipment of goods from one place to another and it’s what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated, and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, creed, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.