Software Engineer II, Documents Platform
Flexport is building the first modern logistics platform to make global trade easier for everyone. We are solving complex problems on a global scale, and disrupting a multi-trillion dollar industry that has remained stubbornly unchanged.
Exceptional software development is integral in allowing us to fulfill our mission of fixing the user experience in global trade. At Flexport you’ll develop products that are at the forefront of reshaping the entire logistics & supply chain industries. You’ll work alongside self-starters interested in solving real-world problems and streamlining the inefficiencies in the complex global trade industry. You’ll have the opportunity to reshape an industry by creating the new operating system for global trade.
The Documents Platform team is within the vision and context of the Freight Forwarding Application, our redesigned application experience. Documents Platform makes it easy to manage trade documents and extract relevant data from them. Collaborators in the freight forwarding lifecycle often exchange files in formats such as PDF, PNG, and CSV. We build systems and experiences that enable these collaborators to securely store, search, and share such documents. We also develop services that extract data from trade documents so that we can leverage them in our operational workflows. We recently partnered with ScaleAI to help develop this digitization pipeline. We are looking for a talented engineer to help develop this ecosystem of services with an emphasis on scalability and reliability.
- Deliver projects in your area of ownership while collaborating with a diverse group of cross-functional team members.. We often work on multi-week projects that require phased rollouts and coordination with multiple stakeholders.
- Prioritize tech debt and user-reported bugs along with feature development, emphasizing simplicity and long-lasting designs. As we extract services out of the monolith, we take pride in untangling legacy code and re-building with composability in mind.
- Engage in conversations with other maker teams, gathering requirements that inform the roadmap. We believe in delivering quality customer service by being highly responsive on our support channels, listening to feedback, and evangelizing our products.
- Implement and evangelize new technologies and tools that can help accelerate the product development lifecycle. We explore the best tool for the job and ensure that our learnings make it out to the broader community.
- Onboard other engineers to the codebase. We believe in structured onboarding processes that emphasize collaboration to ensure a smooth transition into the team and continued development on the team.
What you’ll build:
You will work on projects in the following areas:
- Document Foundations - develop foundational capabilities such as document storage, security, schema and search.
- Document Processing - develop the data extraction and validation pipeline using optical character recognition and machine learning based technologies.
- Document Solutions - develop end-to-end solutions for Flexport domains such as auto-filling forms and cross-validating document data with internal and external sources.
You should have:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent experience.
- You have 2-5 years experience writing software and a strong engineering background.
- Experience as a generalist working on both the frontend and backend to provide the best solutions for our users.
- Experience in building distributed systems using Ruby or Java.
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, continuous deployments, testing, and operations.
- You love simple, well-tested code that is easy to extend and hard to break.
- You can convey technical ideas in common terms to business stakeholders, product managers, and engineers alike.
Bonus if you have:
- 2+ years of experience working with Postgres, MongoDB or other similar storage technologies.
- Knowledge of GraphQL and gRPC
- Experience with AWS or Kubernetes
- Experience with distributed systems
- Experience migrating large monolithic applications to service-oriented architecture
Our continuous releases are integrated with Buildkite and Github. On the frontend, we create our views with React, manage the flow of data with GraphQL/Relay, and test our application with Jest. On the backend, we’re in the process of decoupling our monolithic Rails app. We have introduced a few network isolated services using other languages, such as Java, Scala, and Clojure. Our data is persisted in Postgres and MongoDB. Our stack is hosted on AWS using Docker, but we are currently migrating to Kubernetes.
Engineering Culture and Values:
Check out our Engineering blog.
At Flexport, we believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make it easy and accessible for everyone. We’re shaping the future of a $8.6T industry with solutions powered by innovative technology and exceptional people. Today, companies of all sizes—from emerging brands to Fortune 500s—use Flexport technology to move more than $19B of merchandise across 112 countries a year.
The recent global supply chain crisis has put Flexport center stage as we continue to play a pivotal role in how goods move around the world. At a valuation of $8B, we’re experiencing record growth and are proud to have the support of the best investors in the game who believe in our mission, solutions and people. Ready to tackle global challenges that impact business, society, and the environment? Come join us.
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
Don’t be! Our mission is to make global trade easy for everyone. That’s why it’s important to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the global logistics industry forward.
We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
- Account Solutions & Implementation
- Business Enablement
- Business Operations
- Client Solutions
- Data Science & Analytics
- Flexport Ecosystem
- General Management
- Global Brand
- IT, Security & Infrastructure
- Office of CEO
- Office of CTO
- Operational Excellence
- Product Management
- Supply Chain Operations
- Technical Program Management
- Trade & Financial Services
- Trade Lane Management, Fulfillment & Procurement
- User Experience
- Workplace & Facilities
- Hong Kong
- Los Angeles
- New York City
- San Francisco