The role of the Senior Manager Network Development is a critical part of making Flexport’s mission to make global trade easy for everyone a reality. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries. In this role, you will lead the growth of our network in your respective region. You develop and execute a long term strategy on where and how flexport needs to be present to serve our customers with the best possible proposition. Most importantly, you will play a pivotal role in building our future operating model at Flexport: allowing us to effectively scale to achieve our mission of making global trade easier for everyone.
This role is designed to design, develop and deploy a successful network infrastructure including our Linehaul and Warehousing Network in the Americas. The right network design and setup is vital and serves as Flexport’s backbone for all Air, LCL and Domestic Trucking shipments. You will also be responsible for the overall quality of the network (ie. On-time Performance, Damages, vendor management) including the carriers and terminals we operate with. You will need to develop processes from the ground-up, drive global standardisation, build tech requirements and implement systems to help drive efficiencies, and continually look for ways to improve network operations quality across the Americas.
As a Network Development leader, you are an expert in what is needed to execute the end-to-end movement of shipments in your continent, and across the globe.
- You will be responsible for designing, developing and deploying the right Warehousing, Domestic trucking and Linehaul infrastructure based on Flexport’s growth aspirations and forecasts across various consolidations products
- You will manage P&Ls for the relevant business areas in scope and ensure you create the appropriate forecasts and budgets for future investments in the network
- You will be responsible for implementing supply chain solutions across new trade lanes, for our clients in collaboration with the Trade Lane Management (TLM) and Trucking Procurement teams
- You will hire, coach and develop a team responsible for the end-to-end quality of our consolidated freight within a regional network (both imports and exports), including intermodal movements. You will manage the career progression of your team and build in the right dynamics for success of both the individuals and the group.
- You will be responsible for meeting internal KPIs and SLAs that demonstrate quality delivery in relevant business areas.
- You will work closely with your peers and Data Analytics team to set-up long term data optimisation modelling, run deep analysis on to reach the optimum for Flexport.
- You will work closely with your counterparts in the other regions to design, pilot, test and roll out new process and tech initiatives, ensuring standardization and efficiency gains are achieved across all regional teams in line with our OKRs.
- You will work closely with the data analytics and product teams to further develop linehaul optimization products that will help us manage and automate our line-haul network
- You will monitor regional vendor (e.g. carrier, trucker) performance and partner with Procurement on performance management initiatives.
- You will serve as the primary relationship manager for internal and external partners in your region such as terminals, carriers, and warehouses, the Customs team and the Ocean Operations team.
- You will work with gateway and global management to ensure the right metrics and data are in place to empower your regional team to deliver great performance.
- You will be responsible for monitoring and improving overall cost-to-serve while maintaining a high level of client satisfaction.
- You will help design and implement operational infrastructure and procedures in the team you oversee while constantly identifying and executing on opportunities to realize optimal efficiency and productivity.
- You will empower your team to prioritize and align on key initiatives, experiment with the best ways to drive growth and maintain high on-the-job motivation.
- You will support the regional leadership and global management to build a growth plan for your own region
- You will build trusting relationships and strive for high satisfaction levels from the Client Solutions team. You will work with Account Management to design and iterate on effective feedback loops to ensure client needs are met.
- You will act as a strategic consultant to your global counterparts, product & engineering and the operations excellence team on ocean supply chain operations and your regional gateway ocean or network operations strategy.
What you will need:
- BA/BS degree, MBA is a plus
- Minimum 10+ years of experience in logistics, freight forwarding, supply chain, ocean carrier operations, operations at a high growth organization, or consulting
- Program management, project management and process design experience
- Strong Data Analytics skills
- Coaching your colleagues
- Encouraging your team to improve how the team works
- Helping your team learn from their performance outcomes
- Inspiring your team
- Engaging a customer with empathy and without bias
- Pressure testing qualitative and quantitative work
- Building strategy through a customer viability lens
- Designing processes
- Leading difficult conversations
- Forming hypothesis and developing experiments
- Communicating with structure (“A mastery of (internal) communication”)
- Managing time and commitments (“Next-level attention to detail”)
- Investigating and troubleshooting the customer’s problem
- Execute complex processes without missing adaptive opportunities
- Applying policy, process, and best practices
- Organizing, leading, and participating in meetings
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.