At Flexport, global trade is powered by data -- data that equips our clients with best-in-class visibility into their supply chains and helps them run their businesses effectively.
As a Senior Ocean Trade Lane Manager, you operate at a high level of expertise and impact both internally and externally. Prerequisite is a demonstrated and consistent execution of all responsibilities of Trade Lane Manager. You have a proven track record of success in building high performing teams, collaborating successfully across multiple areas of the business (e.g., Sales, Demand, Makers), and growing a book of business. You’re both an Ocean expert and a Flexport expert, able to navigate the dynamics of internal and external environments to execute Flexport objectives and build a dynamic Ocean trade. This role is a level-up with the expectation to tackle more complex and broader problems that have broader impacts.
- Be an Ocean Leader, contribute and lead setting of team OKRs, setting project priorities, and coordination with other internal stakeholders
- Design practices, processes and procedures that allow team to execute efficiently
- People management responsibilities for all respective procurement team members, including performance evaluation, and supporting growth and development of team members
- Demonstrate an ability Ability to project plan and develop people into roles, while taking into consideration both Flexport priorities and strengths/interests of team members
Create and promote the best solutions for Flexport customers
- Fully own the end-to-end procurement, solution design, rate setting, and implementation cycles for your geography
- Acquire and maintain a deep understanding of best-in-class market offerings and customer requirements for your geography
- Think outside-the-box to create innovative solutions to satisfy current customers and to promote acquisition new customers in your geography
- Collaborate with internal and external partners to procure and set business up for operational success and provide exceptional service for Flexport FCL clients
Partner with Client Solutions & Sales to provide enablement and support for effective selling of those solutions
- Communicate Ocean strategy and market to Flexport stakeholders, work consultatively with OM’s and AE’s to inform and set Ocean strategy
- Constantly provide market insights and empower Client Solutions to sell out of your geography
- Be the default subject-matter-expert partner for Client Solutions & the broader Demand organization to jointly drive go-to-market commercial strategy
- Be vigilant of market conditions and provide monthly and quarterly updates, as well as overall market trends to sales teams via regular conference calls or in-person meetings; help prepare sales collateral and business reviews
- Represent Ocean Trade Lane Management in leadership meetings internally and represent Flexport at industry conferences externally when required
- Frequently join sales calls and client visits to sell Flexport’s ocean product while providing valuable market expertise
Drive growth and profitability
- Drive the volume and net revenue growth targets for the region and own the implementation of global financial plans and strategies
- Consult with Client Solutions to price fairly and competitively and avoid revenue leakage/missed charges
- Ensure our Ocean rates are competitive to close valuable business for Flexport and we’re getting the best deals for Flexport. Negotiate directly with carriers, file contracts with agreements with carriers, and negotiate rates and work with the Director to sign carrier contracts with appropriate sub-provisions.
- Work with the Fulfillment/Partners teams to ensure appropriate allocation is considered when implementing opportunities to provide smooth business onboarding and prevent financial leakage.
You should have:
- BA/BS and 5+ years of experience in procurement, supply chain, analysis or operations
- Team management experience
- Knowledge of product and technology within the industry
- Experience with regards to imports and/or exports from a sales, operational or procurement perspective.
- Experience building and maintaining relationships and partnerships with vendors
- Analytical skills and metric / data based approach to solving problems
- Strong analytical background and knowledge of analytical tools (Excel, etc)
- Strategic vision and ground floor execution
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.