Principal Engineer, Visibility
Build the world’s best solution for answering the question “Where’s my stuff?”
Flexport is building the first modern logistics platform to make global trade easier for everyone. We are solving complex problems on a global scale, and disrupting a multi-trillion dollar industry that has remained stubbornly unchanged.
At Flexport, we’re passionate about making global trade easy for everyone. Our enterprise experience team is dedicated to solving the most complex logistics problems for our large customers. We strive to deliver actionable insights that help our customers track inventory movement worldwide, reduce supply chain costs, increase availability, and speed. Our team manages end-to-end supply chain complexity so that our customers don’t have to. The Visibility team’s mission is to automate shipment tracking for Freight Forwarders. Our customers expect fast, accurate, and automated details for their shipments as they transit from origin to destination. The Visibility team focuses on building tools to develop a deep level of shipment tracking by integrating with a wide variety of data sources.
We are searching for a talented Principal Software Engineer to join us in designing and scaling Flexport’s visibility capabilities. This individual must bring clarity to complex problems by partnering with business and engineering leaders to develop solutions to even the most challenging issues. They inspire us by modeling an ambiguous domain with clearly defined services and charting the course for key technical systems. They set the standard for engineering excellence and fiercely advocate for it. They are hands on and enjoy building systems. Above all, they are passionate about growing and nurturing the engineering community by serving as mentors and coaches, fostering shared technical understanding and principles to drive growth and development for all engineers.
- Lead the design, development, and deployment of large-scale software systems
- Mentor and provide technical guidance to other software engineers
- Work closely with cross-functional teams to define and deliver software solutions that meet business objectives
- Act as a technical subject matter expert for the development team and organization
- Champion best practices in operational excellence
- Stay up-to-date with emerging technologies and industry trends and apply them to software development efforts where appropriate
You should have:
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science or related field
- 10+ years of experience in software development
- Proven experience leading the design, development, and deployment of complex software systems
- Strong, full stack, technical expertise in multiple programming languages and technologies
- Excellent communication, collaboration, and leadership skills
- Ability to mentor and provide technical guidance to other software engineers
- Experience with software development processes and best practices, including Agile and CI/CD
- Knowledge of emerging technologies and industry trends
Engineering Culture and Values:
Check out our Key Values profile.
We believe trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easy for everyone. Flexport is building the platform for global logistics, empowering buyers, sellers and their logistics partners with the technology and services to grow and innovate. Today, companies of all sizes—from emerging brands to Fortune 500s—use Flexport technology to move more than $10B of merchandise across 112 countries every year.
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
Don’t be! Our mission is to make global trade easy for everyone. That’s why it’s important to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the global logistics industry forward.
We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
- Account Management
- Account Solutions & Implementation
- Business Enablement
- Business Operations
- Data Science & Analytics
- Flexport Ecosystem
- General Management
- Global Brand
- Office of CEO
- Office of CTO
- Operational Excellence
- Product Management
- Supply Chain Operations
- Technical Program Management
- Trade & Financial Services
- Trade Lane Management, Fulfillment & Procurement
- User Experience
- Workplace & Facilities
- Ho Chi Minh City
- Hong Kong
- Los Angeles
- New York City
- San Francisco
- U.S. Remote
- United States
More About Flexport