Data Technical Program Manager
Flexport’s CISO organization is looking for a passionate, results oriented, well experienced Data Technical Program Manager with solid understanding of analytics, data science, artificial intelligence, machine learning, data platform, data engineering, data infrastructure and data governance. In this role you will manage the deliveries of successful cross-functional projects that focus on Flexport’s Data Mesh vision and AI/ML strategy, optimize data technologies in all layers including visualization, modeling, integration, pipeline, platform, streaming, ingress/egress etc, to ensure a company-wide data-driven decision culture embedded with scalable architecture patterns and secure data governance. You will contribute immensely to Flexport’s global trade platform and help to build, acquire, unify and unlock the world's richest set of supply chain and logistics data at scale to optimize data driven decision making, in a diverse and fast-paced environment with multiple stakeholders and multiple resource pools.
You must be able to initiate and manage programs and dependencies via solid understanding of the data objectives and how it relates to business objectives, technology layers, scalable architecture patterns and security objectives. You must communicate clearly among stakeholders and team members, and have a consistent track record of delivery. You are proactive in driving issues to resolution, creating program vision and roadmap, developing and following through on project plans, identifying program/project headwinds, facilitating resolutions, and can handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment. You are able to curate and present relevant data and articulate extremely complex technical dependencies to facilitate informed decision making during escalations.
- Manage multiple complex data projects in a diverse environment with multiple stakeholders and multiple resource pools under the guidance of technology and security leadership. Program scope can include anything from data tooling, data training, data bounty, data championship, data modeling, data monetization, data governance, data ingestion, data infrastructure, data security and more.
- Work closely with business, product, engineering, architecture, infrastructure and security teams to align data efforts across multiple technologies stacks and domains for Flexport. Formulate and execute against a cohesive, strategic data roadmap. Evangelize, establish and mature cross-domain data mesh teams to ensure data is trusted, discoverable, well-described, secure and permissioned, governed with accountabilities. Shift Flexport’s data approach to a modern, distributed paradigm, apply platform thinking to create a self-serve data infrastructure, treat data as a product and implement open standardization to enable an ecosystem of interoperable distributed data products.
- Facilitate the discovery, requirements, design, implementation and operational transition of all data projects in alignment with Flexport’s business strategy and architectural directions.
- Establish and enhance data stewardship and governance model to enable data-driven decisions while keeping Flexport compliant with global data security requirements. Ensure proper access and permissions to all data, proper management of BI vs transactional databases, as well as a scalable Master Data Management (MDM) framework that provides trusted data sources cross-functionally.
- Drive partnership efforts with stakeholders to develop program and project plans, including roadmap, dependency identifications, resourcing plan and other program/project collaterals as needed. Drive for project and program completion.
- Manage the life cycles and the portfolio for all internal and external data tools. Analyze, document and communicate internal/external stakeholder requirements and impacts, data development processes and methodologies, as well support and operational artifacts related with the data tool portfolio.
- Analyze business and technical processes and procedures, continuously increase the data maturity level of Flexport businesses and technologies to scale and improve customer trust.
- Manage project operational aspects, scope, change management, and track scheduled progress through the appropriate metrics to meet changing needs and requirements
- Own the communications clearly, timely and effectively to management on the plans, status and critical issues. Escalate urgent issues appropriately and drive them to closure. Ensure clean operational hand-off upon project go-lives and be accountable for operational stability.
- Leverage existing program tools and best practices. Partner with fellow Technical Program Managers to cross train, build trust and amplify program outcomes.
- Proactively remove obstacles by managing issue escalations and scope changes.
- Have a bias for action. Be driven, be organized, be resourceful with a “can-do” attitude
What you’ll need:
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills.
- 15+ years of results-proven technical program management experiences in data projects.
- Current knowledge in data technologies, Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Cloud Computing & Engineering, Security, Infrastructure and/or IT.
- Demonstrated ability to apply end-to-end thinking on complex technical dependencies that inherently exist in modern cloud technologies (AWS, GCP, Azure or equivalent), Data tools (Snowflake, Looker, Kafka, etc); and standards related with Data Security (GDPR, CCPA, etc)
- Solid understanding and applications of the domains and relationships in various data functions within the company.
- Willingness to learn new technologies and apply existing and new technical knowledge to program management constantly.
- Demonstrated ability to navigate ambiguity and extrapolate concrete requirements, alignment, and next steps
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s freight forwarding and why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination and shipment of goods from one place to another and it’s what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.