Flexport is reinventing global trade.
We believe trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easy for everyone. Flexport is building the platform for global logistics, empowering buyers, sellers and their logistics partners with the technology and services to grow and innovate. Today, companies of all sizes—from emerging brands to Fortune 500s—use Flexport technology to move more than $10B of merchandise across 112 countries every year. With offices on three continents, our team is as global as our client base. Wherever you are, whichever role you play, you’re guaranteed to share your day with passionate and resourceful team members who are in it together.
Flexport is looking to hire a Manager on the Revenue & Cost Accounting team based in the Fulton Market district of downtown Chicago. This is a crucial role that will have ownership in overseeing accounting for revenues and cost of sales in a fast-paced, pre-IPO environment.
This person will have operated successfully in a fast-paced, global, results-oriented environment. Strong oral and written communication skills are crucial, as well as ability to think clearly, analyze quantitatively, problem-solve, scope business requirements and prioritize. Successful candidates will have broad and deep experience in the following disciplines – GAAP accounting, controllership, financial analysis, financial reporting, and project management.
- Work independently and obtain needed information from subject matter experts.
- Proactively stay abreast of issues and effectively prioritize issue resolution.
- Facilitate discussion, decision making, and conflict resolution
- Assist with team communication, improving transparency, and disseminating information about the financial reporting timeline and needed information.
- Effectively provide updates to stakeholders of key issues that may impact deadlines or quality of the financial reporting.
- Own the month-end close process, including the review of journal entries and account reconciliations for revenue and/or cost of sales and related balance sheet accounts
- Partner with FP&A, assisting with the analysis of large amounts of data specific to revenues and cost of sales activity identifying issues, risks, trends, and making recommendations
- Perform and/or review monthly and quarterly gross margin fluctuation analysis, metrics reporting, and other ad hoc analysis as requested
- Develop, document, and implement policies and procedures that drive efficiency across the business
- Assist in the preparation of schedules for our external auditors during annual audits
- Own critical accounting projects, including the implementation of new systems
You Should Have:
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance or Business or equivalent practical experience
- Masters degree in accounting or an MBA preferred but not required
- Freight Forwarding and/or Tech industry experience strongly preferred but not required
- 6-8 years of accounting and/or finance experience
- Experience in a public company setting
- Advanced Excel skills
- Looker and/or SQL experience is a plus
- Strong acumen for general ledger and chart of account maintenance and improving the month-end close function from an accuracy and timing perspective
- Proven ability to build strong, cohesive relationships across the Controllership and FP&A functions
- Data driven, strong analytical and logical sense
- Strong attention to detail and proficient problem-solving skills
- Strong sense of prioritization and ability to execute on deliverables
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to influence and motivate the peers and stakeholders
- Ability to communicate effectively with executive management
- An obsession with client happiness. You succeed when they succeed
- Willingness to embrace and drive changes
Don't have any Freight Forwarding Experience?
- What’s freight forwarding and why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination and shipment of goods from one place to another and it’s what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.