Senior Engineering Manager, Customer Platform
Build the programs to help Flexport grow
Flexport is hiring a Senior Engineering Manager to lead the engineers on our Customer Experience team.
At Flexport, we believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make it easy and accessible for everyone. We’re shaping the future of a $8.6T industry with solutions powered by innovative technology and exceptional people. Today, companies of all sizes—from emerging brands to Fortune 500s—use Flexport technology to move more than $19B of merchandise across 112 countries a year.
The recent global supply chain crisis has put Flexport center stage as we continue to play a pivotal role in how goods move around the world. At a valuation of $8 billion, we’re experiencing record growth and are proud to have the support of the best investors in the game who believe in our mission, solutions and people. Ready to tackle global challenges that impact business, society, and the environment? Come join us.
The Customer Experience team strives to simplify the complexities of global trade through an intuitive, data rich, and elegant user experience. We ensure our customers get the right information at the right time, and can take the right action in the complex world of supply chain. We are building the single pane of glass to manage a customer's entire supply chain, from purchase order to factory to fulfillment center.
You’ll manage a highly technical, product minded team of engineers and managers that work primarily on services and components that power our direct customer experience. You will manage a mix of engineers, managers and staff engineers. You will partner with a talented product, design and data engineering team, to build innovative global supply chain products. You will work in a globally distributed organization, with partner teams in Asia and Europe, ensuring a high quality product across the globe. The ideal candidate loves making complexity simple through intuitive experiences, for both customers and developers.
Here are some of the key products you will be responsible for:
- Shipment Management: Providing the capabilities for our customers to manage the life cycle of a shipment using an intuitive interface at scale.
- Shipment Visibility: Ensuring our customers know exactly where their products are and when they will be delivered globally for Ocean, Air, and Trucking.
- Flexport.org: Flexport.org enables organizations to deliver global aid and impact—and meet their sustainability goals with greater ease and lower costs. Flexport.org engineering has built innovative products, like our Carbon Calculator, which allows any company to calculate the impact of logistics emissions on the world.
- Growth: You will have a major impact on Flexport’s brand and customer acquisition by developing the web content creation, microsite development, and marketing integrations needed to power our hyper growth business.
Our Customer Experience team is embarking on an exciting vision to enable customers to manage their supply chain regardless of the provider. Come help us make global trade easy for everyone through an intuitive, integrated user experience.
- Manage and mentor a team of managers and engineers on their career journey through project work and feedback.
- Work closely with our business partners and product managers to distill complex business problems into robust technical solutions.
- Provide technical leadership through the full product lifecycle from technical design, delivery and operational excellence.
- Drive architectural direction as we break the Customer Platform out of our Rails monolith and into its own, independent Supply Chain Management Product.
- Describe, analyze, and convince others about major technical tradeoffs and decisions
- Inspire your team to deliver exceptional technology products to our customers
- Recruit a diverse team of managers and engineers from sourcing to closing.
You should have
- At least 3+ years of experience managing highly productive teams of 14+ engineers and managers
- Highly motivated by mentoring and growing managers and engineers
- Work with a high level of autonomy and responsibility for your team, but are skilled to influence and partner with adjacent teams.
- Have experience building complex B2B products with a passion for consumer experiences.
- Embrace deeply complex domains, simplifying them for multiple personas.
- Experience building, operating and managing complex systems in a micro service environment
- Enjoy and take ownership of recruiting diverse team members, who thrive in solving complex problems over the long term.
- You have a product-first approach to building software and you care about the real-world functionality of your programming
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
Our continuous releases are integrated with Buildkite and Github. On the frontend, we create our views with React + Next.js, manage the flow of data with GraphQL/Relay, and test our application with Jest. On the backend, we’re in the process of decoupling our monolithic Rails app into a Micro Services architecture, primarily on JVM languages (Java and Kotlin). Our data is persisted in the right store for the job, typically Postgresql or MongoDB. Our stack is hosted on AWS using Kubernetes. You will be responsible for creating the right architecture for the Customer Platform team.
Engineering Culture and Values:
Check out our Engineering blog.
Worried about not having any logistics experience?
Don’t be! Our mission is to make global trade easy for everyone. That’s why it’s important to bring people fromdiverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the global logistics industry forward.
We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about what our tech teams have been up to, head to the Engineering Blog.
- Account Solutions & Implementation
- Business Enablement
- Business Operations
- Client Solutions
- Data Science & Analytics
- Flexport Ecosystem
- General Management
- Global Brand
- IT, Security & Infrastructure
- Office of CEO
- Office of CTO
- Operational Excellence
- Product Management
- Supply Chain Operations
- Technical Program Management
- Trade & Financial Services
- Trade Lane Management, Fulfillment & Procurement
- User Experience
- Workplace & Facilities
- Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Warehouse
- Kuala Lumpur
- Los Angeles
- New York City
- San Francisco
- U.S. Remote