Senior Engineering Manager
Build the programs to help Flexport grow
Flexport is building the first modern logistics platform to make global trade easier for everyone. We are solving complex problems on a global scale and disrupting a multi-trillion dollar industry that has remained stubbornly unchanged.
Flexport is building the first modern logistics platform to make global trade easier for everyone. We are solving complex problems on a global scale, and disrupting a multi-trillion-dollar industry that has remained stubbornly unchanged
While technological developments have enabled information to flow faster, cargo is still loaded into containers that are transported on trucks, loaded onto boats, and sailing across the oceans. At Legal and Compliance Technology (LCT) we study the business risks in freight forwarding, develop software and processes to standardize it and make it more efficient, and ultimately automate much of the risk assessment, risk quantification, risk actions, and continuous monitoring. This is key to maintaining regulatory compliance and our reputation in the industry. We empower our business to be adaptable and resilient, we develop composable microservices that are leveraged by external teams and their freight-forwarding applications.
- Build an enterprise risk management platform that enables thousands of freight transactions to be assessed, risks mitigated, and adherence to regulatory compliance.
- Craft the architectural strategy, product strategy and own the technical landscape, for the compliance domain.
- Work closely with business partners and product managers to distill complex business problems into elegant technical solutions.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to develop and implement innovative solutions that meet business needs and improve customer experience.
- Build and manage a high-performance engineering team that can deliver complex, mission-critical projects.
- Build and launch products rapidly and incrementally. We ship to production dozens of times per day.
- At least 10 years of experience developing software.
- Bring at least 5+ years of management experience, managing and scaling both frontend and backend engineering teams of size 8+ engineers and managers.
- Experience hiring and building diverse and inclusive teams.
- Experience setting technical vision and roadmap for a team.
- Track record of ideating, planning, executing, and reflecting on multi-month initiatives.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively with technical and non-technical stakeholders, which is critical in this role, working with Sales, Marketing, and End-user business & technology stakeholders.
- Experience managing full-stack application teams.
- Experience working in a cross-functional team with product, design, and data.
- Experience developing distributed systems.
- Desired technical exposure: Rest APIs, GraphQL, GRPC, React
Our continuous releases are integrated with Buildkite and Github. On the frontend, we create our views with React + Next.js, manage the flow of data with GraphQL/Relay, and test our application with Jest. On the backend, we’re in the process of decoupling our monolithic Rails app into a Micro Services architecture, primarily on JVM languages (Java and Kotlin). Our data is persisted in the right store for the job, typically Postgresql or MongoDB. Our stack is hosted on AWS using Kubernetes. You will be responsible for creating the right architecture for the Order Management team.
We believe trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easy for everyone. Flexport is building the platform for global logistics, empowering buyers, sellers and their logistics partners with the technology and services to grow and innovate. Today, companies of all sizes—from emerging brands to Fortune 500s—use Flexport technology to move more than $10B of merchandise across 112 countries every year. With offices on three continents, our team is as global as our client base. Wherever you are, whichever role you play, you’re guaranteed to share your day with passionate and resourceful team members who are in it together.
The Technology team’s vision is to build one platform to unite the world in a seamless web of global trade. Our team is a collaborative, global group of software engineers, product managers, data scientists, product designers, analytics engineers, technical program managers, security engineers, and more, focused on this mission. We hire people who are interested in a broad set of technical problems and ultimately making a huge impact in global logistics. Whether you’re interested in designing and building best in-class software applications, securing our customer and partner data, designing for amazing customer experiences, structuring complex datasets, or driving execution for our key programs, the Technology team has an opportunity for you to learn and help make global trade easy.
Engineering Culture and Values
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s incredibly important for us to bring people fromdiverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s freight forwarding and why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination and shipment of goods from one place to another and it’s what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it canhelp connect the world and break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one withFlexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated, and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, creed, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
- Account Management
- Account Solutions & Implementation
- Business Enablement
- Business Operations
- Data Science & Analytics
- Flexport Ecosystem
- General Management
- Global Brand
- Office of CEO
- Office of CTO
- Operational Excellence
- Product Management
- Supply Chain Operations
- Technical Program Management
- Trade & Financial Services
- Trade Lane Management, Fulfillment & Procurement
- User Experience
- Workplace & Facilities
- Ho Chi Minh City
- Hong Kong
- Los Angeles
- New York City
- San Francisco
- U.S. Remote
- United States
More About Flexport