Senior Software Engineer, Climate Tech
Building the User Experience That Makes Global Trade Easy
Flexport is hiring a Senior Software Engineer to join the Flexport.org engineering team.
Flexport.org is the dedicated impact team within Flexport. It is a critical part of the Flexport mission. We believe that technology should help solve humanity’s most pressing challenges. Given our unique platform and services, and our position in the freight forwarding industry, we have an unparalleled opportunity and responsibility to help others around the globe. Since 2016, Flexport.org has offset over 250,000 tons of carbon (equal to what a forest 10x the size of San Francisco absorbs in a year!), delivered 16.5M lbs of aid to 60+countries, and has reached over 100M people. The Flexport.org engineering team directly enables Flexport.org’s mission through building software that will scale the impact made by sustainability and humanitarian aid initiatives. This team builds products that leverage Flexport’s platform to make a real-world impact, such as reducing global carbon emissions from shipping, empowering nonprofits to deliver aid effectively, and preventing unused goods from being destroyed. If you are passionate about using technology and data systems to realize humanitarian and environmental missions, you’ve found your home. Come deliver a big impact for good, on a global scale.
- Work closely with business partners and product managers to distill complex business problems into elegant technical solutions.
- Take point on complex product initiatives and run them to completion with minimal supervision.
- Design flexible, maintainable code
- Safeguard code quality on your team, reviewing others’ code with an eye to performance and maintainability.
- Collaborate with engineering teams to execute against the vision and roadmap
- Work closely with designers and product managers to distill complex business problems into elegant technical solutions.
- Be part of a close-knit engineering team that ships new code into production multiple times a day.
- Lead cross-functional initiatives with our sustainability and aid operational teams to drive impact and company metrics.
You should have:
- 5+ years of experience writing software and a strong engineering background.
- A love of simple, well-tested code that is easy to extend and hard to break.
- The ability to convey technical ideas in common terms to business partners, product managers, designers, and engineers alike.
- Understanding of performance tradeoffs, load balancing and operational issues.
- Demonstrated ability to mentor junior software engineers in all aspects of their engineering skill-sets.
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, continuous deployments, testing, and operations.
- A bias for action. When you see a problem, you solve it.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent experience.
- Non-optional: an aptitude for learning quickly.
Our continuous releases are integrated with Buildkite and Github. On the frontend, we create our views with React + Next.js, manage the flow of data with GraphQL/Relay, and test our application with Jest. On the backend, we’re in the process of decoupling our monolithic Rails app into a Micro Services architecture, primarily on JVM languages (Java and Kotlin). Our data is persisted in the right store for the job, typically Postgresql or MongoDB. Our stack is hosted on AWS using Kubernetes.
Engineering Culture and Values:
Check out our Engineering Blog.
At Flexport, we believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make it easy and accessible for everyone. We’re shaping the future of a $8.6T industry with solutions powered by innovative technology and exceptional people. Today, companies of all sizes—from emerging brands to Fortune 500s—use Flexport technology to move more than $19B of merchandise across 112 countries a year.
The recent global supply chain crisis has put Flexport center stage as we continue to play a pivotal role in how goods move around the world. At a valuation of $8B, we’re experiencing record growth and are proud to have the support of the best investors in the game who believe in our mission, solutions and people. Ready to tackle global challenges that impact business, society, and the environment? Come join us.
Worried about not having any logistics experience?
Don’t be! Our mission is to make global trade easy for everyone. That’s why it’s important to bring people fromdiverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the global logistics industry forward.
We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about what our tech teams have been up to, head to the Engineering Blog.
- Account Solutions & Implementation
- Business Enablement
- Business Operations
- Client Solutions
- Data Science & Analytics
- Flexport Ecosystem
- General Management
- Global Brand
- IT, Security & Infrastructure
- Office of CEO
- Office of CTO
- Operational Excellence
- Product Management
- Supply Chain Operations
- Technical Program Management
- Trade & Financial Services
- Trade Lane Management, Fulfillment & Procurement
- User Experience
- Workplace & Facilities
- Hong Kong
- Los Angeles
- New York City
- San Francisco