Senior Engineering Manager, Data Platform
Flexport is looking for a creative, execution oriented, technically-minded senior manager motivated to solve some of the most challenging data problems in global trade. Data is at the heart of our business. As a Senior Software Engineering Manager, Data Platform, you will lead a team responsible for the development of a globally scalable, distributed data platform that will serve the most up to date information about global supply chains, transportation, and logistics. The foundational abstraction served by this team represents the digital state of the world and will be used to automate operational workflows and feed predictive machine learning models.
You will manage a team that is working in and improving complex data warehouse environments. You will partner with Data Science and Software Engineering teams to develop scalable and innovative solutions to process and store large amounts of low latency structured and unstructured data to enable the Data Science and Machine Learning team to execute successful, data-driven strategies across Flexport.
You should be execution oriented with demonstrated experience guiding teams through requirements gathering, design, implementation, deployment, and management of large scale data solutions. You should be passionate about building teams and growing careers. You should excel at working with cross-team and cross-functional partners to understand data needs and design scalable and efficient ETL solutions. You should be eager to build deep domain knowledge, but able to generalize to standard and reusable patterns and ensure your team can do the same. You should be passionate about providing effortlessly accessible intelligence and actionable insights to our end users inside and outside of the company and creating new or enhanced value through data-powered solutions in all parts of our business.
Our ideal candidate is: a self-motivated leader, highly analytical, technically excellent, passionate about delivering solutions for end users coping with real-world business problems, and is experienced with building and developing a team of individual contributors.
Locations: Bellevue, WA
- Lead the development of our foundational platform for global trade.
- Build, manage, and grow a team of talented data platform focused software engineers.
- Create a technical vision for the team.
- Partner with cross-team and cross-functional partners to develop and deliver the strategic roadmap that provides real-time supply chain, transportation and logistics intelligence to the world.
- Drive the design, development, and launch of high quality data models and pipelines in production.
- Demonstrate thought leadership and guidance to make the proper trade-offs to meet our needs.
- Build a team culture around technical excellence and strong delivery.
- Work collaboratively with product, engineering, and business leadership to:
- find opportunities to improve and enhance our data products,
- understand Flexport’s technology stack, business, and operations processes to identify impact opportunities,
- translate ambiguous requirements into the right data solution, and
- deploy and maintain robust and scalable production solutions.
You Should Have:
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or a related field and 7+ years of experience in software development, focusing on big data processing and distributed systems.
- 5+ years of experience managing, leading, and growing teams of data or distributed systems engineers.
- A strong background in design, engineering, and implementation.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills. Experience leading through influence with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and communicate requirements and turn them into a realistic execution plan.
- Technically deep knowledge of the principles of building large-scale data solutions, distributed systems, and data architecture.
- Experience designing and implementing batch and stream data processing pipelines
- Great at system design with solid evidence of capability to design complex data solutions.
- Experience leading the development of complex software systems that have been successfully deployed and maintained.
- Strong programming experience in SQL and one or more languages: Kotlin, Java, JVM languages, C++, C#.
- Masters Degree in Computer Science or a related field.
- Experience with large volume data sets and data visualization tools.
- Deep experience and expertise in ETL optimization, designing, coding, and tuning big data processes.
- Knowledge and experience with optimization of the distribution, partitioning, and parallel processing of high-level data structures.
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific, as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital, and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
Are you worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s crucial for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s freight forwarding, and why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination and shipment of goods from one place to another, and it’s what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one-week intensive onboarding program explicitly designed to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated, and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
- Account Solutions & Implementation
- Business Enablement
- Business Operations
- Client Solutions
- Data Science & Analytics
- Flexport Ecosystem
- General Management
- Global Brand
- IT, Security & Infrastructure
- Office of CEO
- Office of CTO
- Operational Excellence
- Product Management
- Supply Chain Operations
- Technical Program Management
- Trade & Financial Services
- Trade Lane Management, Fulfillment & Procurement
- User Experience
- Workplace & Facilities
- Hong Kong
- Los Angeles
- New York City
- San Francisco