Software Engineer II, Quoting System
Flexport is building the first modern logistics platform to make global trade easier for everyone. We solve complex problems on a global scale and disrupt a multi-trillion dollar industry that has remained stubbornly unchanged.
Flexport’s business transactions start with a quote, and constructing a competitive and profitable quote quickly is a key differentiator. The industry standard for freight quoting is still a manual and laborious process similar to visiting a travel agent. We want to make freight quoting as easy as booking your flight on a travel website. The quoting engineering team solves the complex problem of combining data from our routing, inventory, pricing, customer preferences, and other systems to generate an end-to-end offer for our customers. Our systems are used by both customers and internal users to manage the entire quote lifecycle.
We're looking for a Software Engineer to develop products at the forefront of reshaping the entire logistics & supply chain industries. You’ll work alongside self-starters interested in solving real-world problems and streamlining the inefficiencies in the complex global trade industry. You’ll have the opportunity to reshape an industry by creating the new operating system for global trade.
What You Will Do
- Take point on complex product initiatives and run them to completion with minimal supervision.
- Design flexible, maintainable code.
- Safeguard code quality on your team, reviewing others’ code with an eye to performance and maintainability.
- Collaborate with engineering teams to execute against the vision and roadmap.
- Work closely with designers and product managers to distill complex business problems into elegant technical solutions.
- Be part of a close-knit engineering team that ships new code into production multiple times a day.
- Geek out about marketplaces, prices, quotes, and logistics. (We do this often.)
What You Will Build
- Model the data structures representing services that customers want and a quote for fulfilling such services.
- A system for generating and managing quotes.
- Quoting workflow and automation for customers and internal users.
You Should Have
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent experience
- 3+ years of experience writing software, and a strong engineering background.
- A love of simple, high-quality, secure, well-tested code that is easy to extend and hard to break.
- The ability to convey technical ideas in common terms to business partners, product managers, designers and engineers alike.
- A desire to develop your tooling repertoire. We are tech-agnostic regarding candidate background, but our platform is built with React, Ruby, Java/Kotlin
- A bias for action. When you see a problem, you solve it.
- Non-optional: An aptitude for learning quickly.
Our continuous releases are integrated with Buildkite and Github. On the frontend, we create our views with React, manage the flow of data with GraphQL/Relay, and test our application with Jest. On the backend, we’re in the process of decoupling our monolithic Rails app. We have introduced a few network isolated services using other languages, such as Java, Scala, and Clojure. Our data is persisted in Postgres and MongoDB. Our stack is hosted on AWS using Docker, but we are currently migrating to Kubernetes.
Engineering Culture and Values
Check out our Key Values profile.
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator.
Do I need to have any freight forwarding experience?
No. We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
What’s freight forwarding and why does it matter?
Freight forwarding is the coordination and shipment of goods from one place to another and it’s what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
- Account Solutions & Implementation
- Business Enablement
- Business Operations
- Client Solutions
- Data Science & Analytics
- Flexport Ecosystem
- General Management
- Global Brand
- IT, Security & Infrastructure
- Office of CEO
- Office of CTO
- Operational Excellence
- Product Management
- Supply Chain Operations
- Technical Program Management
- Trade & Financial Services
- Trade Lane Management, Fulfillment & Procurement
- User Experience
- Workplace & Facilities
- Hong Kong
- Los Angeles
- New York City
- San Francisco