U.S. Import and Export Data Coffee, tea, maté and spices HS Chapter 09
Top Origin Country
Top Destination State
Top Destination Country
Top Origin State
Import Export Rankings (2022)
|U.S. Import Rank (amongst 2 digit HS Codes)||38th (of 98)|
|U.S. Export Rank (amongst 2 digit HS Codes)||74th|
|Top Importing States||New Jersey ($1,257,317,573), California ($1,248,050,870), Louisiana ($777,092,833), and Maryland ($653,226,919)|
|Top Exporting States||California ($182,798,061), New Jersey ($108,675,374), Nevada ($99,102,265), and Pennsylvania ($90,944,270)|
|Top Countries Importing from the U.S.||Canada ($602,319,737), Korea, South ($92,213,521), Japan ($58,086,834), and Mexico ($42,533,730)|
|Top Countries Exporting to the U.S.||Colombia ($1,130,524,080), Brazil ($1,112,676,327), Vietnam ($489,056,370), and Switzerland ($454,182,635)|
COFFEE, TEA, MATÉ AND SPICES
- 1. Mixtures of the products of headings 0904 to 0910 are to be classified as follows:
The addition of other substances to the products of headings 0904 to 0910 (or to the mixtures referred to in paragraph (a) or (b) above) shall not affect their classification provided the resulting mixtures retain the essential character of the goods of those headings. Otherwise such mixtures are not classified in this chapter; those constituting mixed condiments or mixed seasonings are classified in heading 2103.
- (a) Mixtures of two or more of the products of the same heading are to be classified in that heading;
- (b) Mixtures of two or more of the products of different headings are to be classified in heading 0910.
- 2. This chapter does not cover Cubeb pepper (Piper cubeba) or other products of heading 1211.
Additional U.S. Notes
- 1. Except as otherwise indicated, the provisions in this chapter cover the named products whether whole or in crushed or powdered form.
- 2. No allowance shall be made for dirt or other foreign matter in the products of this chapter.
- 3. The rates of duty specified in subheadings 0901.11 to 0901.22, inclusive, shall not apply to any product imported into Puerto Rico upon which a duty is imposed pursuant to section 319 of the Tariff Act of 1930, as amended (19 U.S.C. 1319).
- 4. All immediate containers and wrappings, and all intermediate containers, of tea (heading 0902) in packages of less than 2.3 kg, net, each are dutiable at the rates applicable to such containers and wrappings if imported empty, except that such goods originating in the following territories listed below shall enter free of duty.Australia, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Singapore.
- 5. Pursuant to 21 U.S.C. 41, the importation of impure tea is prohibited, except as provided for in chapter 98.
1 Carryover legal note from the Tariff Schedule of the United States (TSUS). The Tea Importation Act (21 U.S.C. 41) was repealed,effective April 9, 1996. The shaded area indicates that the provisions have expired.
- 6. The importation of pepper shells, ground or unground, is prohibited.
- 1. For a list of approved standards for "Certified organic", see General Statistical Note 6.
The provisions of subchapter II of chapter 99 (Miscellaneous Tariff Bills or MTBs), the provisions of the Generalized System of Preferences (GSP) found in General Note 4 and most product exclusions from the additional tariffs on products of China in subchapter III of chapter 99 expired on December 31, 2020. However, no endnotes or footnotes relating to these provisions have been deleted as of the issue date of this edition.
U.S. Tariff Rates
|0901||Coffee, whether or not roasted or decaffeinated; coffee husks and skins; coffee substitutes containing coffee in any proportion:|
|0901.90.10.00||Coffee husks and skins||kg||Free|
|0901.90.20.00||Coffee substitutes containing coffee||kg||1.5¢/kg||Free (A+, AU, BH, CL, CO, D, E, IL, JO, KR, MA, OM, P, PA, PE, S, SG)|
|0902||Tea, whether or not flavored:|
|0902.10||Green tea (not fermented) in immediate packings of a content not exceeding 3 kg:|
|0902.10.10||Flavored||6.4%||Free (A, AU, BH, CL, CO, D, E, IL, JO, KR, MA, OM, P, PA, PE, S, SG) 3.2% (JP)|
|0902.20||Other green tea (not fermented):|
|0902.20.10.00||Flavored||kg||6.4%||Free (A*, AU, BH, CL, CO, D, E, IL, JO, KR, MA, OM, P, PA, PE, S, SG) 3.2% (JP)|
|0902.30.00||Black tea (fermented) and partly fermented tea, in immediate packings of a content not exceeding 3 kg||Free|
|0902.40.00.00||Other black tea (fermented) and other partly fermented tea||kg||Free|
|0904||Pepper of the genus Piper; dried or crushed or ground fruits of the genus Capsicum (peppers) or of the genus Pimenta (e.g., allspice):|
|0904.11.00||Neither crushed nor ground||Free|
|0904.12.00.00||Crushed or ground||kg||Free|
|0904.21||Dried, neither crushed nor ground:|
|0904.21.20.00||Paprika||kg||3¢/kg||Free (A, AU, BH, CL, CO, D, E, IL, JO, KR, MA, OM, P, PA, PE, S, SG)|
|0904.21.40.00||Anaheim and ancho pepper||kg||5¢/kg||Free (A+, AU, BH, CL, CO, D, E, IL, JO, KR, MA, OM, P, PA, PE, S, SG)|
|0904.21.60||Other||2.5¢/kg||Free (A, AU, BH, CL, CO, D, E, IL, JO, KR, MA, OM, P, PA, PE, S, SG)|
|0904.21.80.00||Of the genus Pimenta (including allspice)||kg||Free|
|0904.22||Crushed or ground:|
|0904.22.20.00||Paprika||kg||3¢/kg||Free (A, AU, BH, CL, CO, D, E, IL, JO, KR, MA, OM, P, PA, PE, S, SG)|
|0904.22.40.00||Anaheim and ancho pepper||kg||5¢/kg||Free (A+, AU, BH, CL, CO, D, E, IL, JO, KR, MA, OM, P, PA, PE, S, SG)|
|0904.22.73.00||Mixtures of mashed or macerated hot red peppers and salt||kg||Free|
|0904.22.76.00||Other||kg||5¢/kg||Free (A, AU, BH, CL, CO, D, E, IL, JO, KR, MA, OM, P, PA, PE, S, SG)|
|0904.22.80.00||Of the genus Pimenta (including allspice)||kg||Free|
|0905.10.00.00||Neither crushed nor ground||kg||Free|
|0905.20.00.00||Crushed or ground||kg||Free|
|0906||Cinnamon and cinnamon-tree flowers:|
|0906.11.00.00||Cinnamon (Cinnamomum zeylanicum Blume)||kg||Free|
|0906.20.00.00||Crushed or ground||kg||Free|
|0907||Cloves (whole fruit, cloves and stems):|
|0907.10.00.00||Neither crushed nor ground||kg||Free|
|0907.20.00.00||Crushed or ground||kg||Free|
|0908||Nutmeg, mace and cardamoms:|
|0908.11.00.00||Neither crushed nor ground||kg||Free|
|0908.12.00.00||Crushed or ground||kg||Free|
|0908.21.00.00||Neither crushed nor ground||kg||Free|
|0908.22||Crushed or ground:|
|0908.22.20.00||Bombay or wild mace, ground||kg||7.4¢/kg||Free (A, AU, BH, CL, CO, D, E, IL, JO, KR, MA, OM, P, PA, PE, S, SG)|
|0908.31.00.00||Neither crushed nor ground||kg||Free|
|0908.32.00.00||Crushed or ground||kg||Free|
|0909||Seeds of anise, badian, fennel, coriander, cumin or caraway; juniper berries:|
|0909.21.00.00||Neither crushed nor ground||kg||Free|
|0909.22.00.00||Crushed or ground||kg||Free|
|0909.31.00.00||Neither crushed nor ground||kg||Free|
|0909.32.00.00||Crushed or ground||kg||Free|
|0909.61.00.00||Neither crushed nor ground||kg||Free|
|0909.62.00.00||Crushed or ground||kg||Free|
|0910||Ginger, saffron, turmeric (curcuma), thyme, bay leaves, curry and other spices:|
|0910.11.00||Neither crushed nor ground||Free|
|0910.12.00.00||Crushed or ground||kg||1¢/kg||Free (A*, AU, BH, CL, CO, D, E, IL, JO, KR, MA, OM, P, PA, PE, S, SG)|
|0910.91.00.00||Mixtures referred to in note 1(b) to this chapter||kg||1.9%||Free (A, AU, BH, CL, CO, D, E, IL, JO, KR, MA, OM, P, PA, PE, S, SG)|
|0910.99.05.00||Crude or not manufactured||kg||Free|
|0910.99.06.00||Thyme||kg||4.8%||Free (A*, AU, BH, CL, CO, D, E, IL, JO, KR, MA, OM, P, PA, PE, S, SG)|
|0910.99.07.00||Bay leaves||kg||3.2%||Free (A+, AU, BH, CL, CO, D, E, IL, JO, KR, MA, OM, P, PA, PE, S, SG)|
|0910.99.20.00||Crude or not manufactured||kg||Free|
|0910.99.40.00||Other||kg||3.4%||Free (A*, AU, BH, CL, CO, D, E, IL, JO, KR, MA, OM, P, PA, PE, S, SG)|
|0910.99.60.00||Other||kg||1.9%||Free (A*, AU, BH, CL, CO, D, E, IL, JO, KR, MA, OM, P, PA, PE, S, SG)|
No rulings related to HS Code 09.