U.S. Import and Export Data Coffee, Tea, Mate & Spices HS Chapter 09
Top Origin Country
Top Destination State
Top Destination Country
Top Origin State
Import Export Rankings (2020)
|U.S. Import Rank (amongst 2 digit HS Codes)||38th (of 98)|
|U.S. Export Rank (amongst 2 digit HS Codes)||74th|
|Top Importing States||California ($1,249,520,994), New Jersey ($994,964,728), Maryland ($782,351,637), and New York ($734,048,321)|
|Top Exporting States||Washington ($151,494,861), California ($129,354,898), Florida ($109,990,307), and Pennsylvania ($102,739,033)|
|Top Countries Importing from the U.S.||Canada ($682,147,428), Korea, South ($85,820,494), Japan ($62,639,061), and Mexico ($44,722,403)|
|Top Countries Exporting to the U.S.||Colombia ($1,180,616,689), Brazil ($993,214,032), Madagascar ($521,737,086), and Indonesia ($468,688,417)|
COFFEE, TEA, MATÉ AND SPICES
- 1. Mixtures of the products of headings 0904 to 0910 are to be classified as follows:
The addition of other substances to the products of headings 0904 to 0910 (or to the mixtures referred to in paragraph (a) or (b) above) shall not affect their classification provided the resulting mixtures retain the essential character of the goods of those headings. Otherwise such mixtures are not classified in this chapter; those constituting mixed condiments or mixed seasonings are classified in heading 2103.
- (a) Mixtures of two or more of the products of the same heading are to be classified in that heading;
- (b) Mixtures of two or more of the products of different headings are to be classified in heading 0910.
- 2. This chapter does not cover Cubeb pepper (Piper cubeba) or other products of heading 1211.
Additional U.S. Notes
- 1. Except as otherwise indicated, the provisions in this chapter cover the named products whether whole or in crushed or powdered form.
- 2. No allowance shall be made for dirt or other foreign matter in the products of this chapter.
- 3. The rates of duty specified in subheadings 0901.11 to 0901.22, inclusive, shall not apply to any product imported into Puerto Rico upon which a duty is imposed pursuant to section 319 of the Tariff Act of 1930, as amended (19 U.S.C. 1319).
- 4. All immediate containers and wrappings, and all intermediate containers, of tea (heading 0902) in packages of less than 2.3 kg, net, each are dutiable at the rates applicable to such containers and wrappings if imported empty, except that such goods originating in the following territories listed below shall enter free of duty.Australia, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Singapore.
- 5. Pursuant to 21 U.S.C. 41, the importation of impure tea is prohibited, except as provided for in chapter 98.
1 Carryover legal note from the Tariff Schedule of the United States (TSUS). The Tea Importation Act (21 U.S.C. 41) was repealed,effective April 9, 1996. The shaded area indicates that the provisions have expired.
- 6. The importation of pepper shells, ground or unground, is prohibited.
- 1. For the purposes of this chapter, the expression “Certified organic” refers to a fresh or processed agricultural product that is certified to the United States Department of Agriculture National Organic Program Regulation (7 CFR 205), the Canadian Organic Products Regulations (SOR/2006-338 COPR), the European Union (EU) Council Regulation (EC) No.834/2007 and Commission Regulations (EC) No. 889/2008 and 1235/2008, the Japanese Agricultural Standard (JAS) for Organic Plants (Notification No. 1605 of 2005) and the JAS for Organic Processed Foods (Notification No. 1606 of 2005), or the Republic of Korea Act on Promotion of Environmentally-Friendly Agriculture and Fisheries and Management of and Support for Organic Food, and its implementing regulations for processed foods, or the Swiss Ordinance on Organic Farming and the Labeling of Organically Produced Products and Foodstuffs (910.18) and Federal Department of Economic Affairs, Education and Research (EAER) Ordinance on Organic Farming of 22 September 1997 (910.181) and its regulations.
U.S. Tariff Rates
|0901||Coffee, whether or not roasted or decaffeinated; coffee husks and skins; coffee substitutes containing coffee in any proportion:|
|0901.90.10.00||Coffee husks and skins||kg||Free|
|0901.90.20.00||Coffee substitutes containing coffee||kg||1.5¢/kg||Free (A+, AU, BH, CA, CL, CO, D, E, IL, JO, KR, MA, MX, OM, P, PA, PE, SG)|
|0902||Tea, whether or not flavored:|
|0902.10||Green tea (not fermented) in immediate packings of a content not exceeding 3 kg:|
|0902.10.10||Flavored||6.4%||Free (A, AU, BH, CA, CL, CO, E, IL, JO, KR, MA, MX, OM, P, PA, PE, SG)|
|0902.20||Other green tea (not fermented):|
|0902.20.10.00||Flavored||kg||6.4%||Free (A, AU, BH, CA, CL, CO, E, IL, JO, KR, MA, MX, OM, P, PA, PE, SG)|
|0902.30.00||Black tea (fermented) and partly fermented tea, in immediate packings of a content not exceeding 3 kg||Free|
|0902.40.00.00||Other black tea (fermented) and other partly fermented tea||kg||Free|
|0904||Pepper of the genus Piper; dried or crushed or ground fruits of the genus Capsicum (peppers) or of the genus Pimenta (e.g., allspice):|
|0904.11.00||Neither crushed nor ground||Free|
|0904.12.00.00||Crushed or ground||kg||Free|
|0904.21||Dried, neither crushed nor ground:|
|0904.21.20.00||Paprika||kg||3¢/kg||Free (A, AU, BH, CA, CL, CO, E, IL, JO, KR, MA, MX, OM, P, PA, PE, SG)|
|0904.21.40.00||Anaheim and ancho pepper||kg||5¢/kg||Free (A+, AU, BH, CA, CL, CO, D, E, IL, JO, KR, MA, MX, OM, P, PA, PE, SG)|
|0904.21.60||Other||2.5¢/kg||Free (A, AU, BH, CA, CL, CO, E, IL, JO, KR, MA, MX, OM, P, PA, PE, SG)|
|0904.21.80.00||Of the genus Pimenta (including allspice)||kg||Free|
|0904.22||Crushed or ground:|
|0904.22.20.00||Paprika||kg||3¢/kg||Free (A, AU, BH, CA, CL, CO, E, IL, JO, KR, MA, MX, OM, P, PA, PE, SG)|
|0904.22.40.00||Anaheim and ancho pepper||kg||5¢/kg||Free (A+, AU, BH, CA, CL, CO, D, E, IL, JO, KR, MA, MX, OM, P, PA, PE, SG)|
|0904.22.73.00||Mixtures of mashed or macerated hot red peppers and salt||kg||Free|
|0904.22.76.00||Other||kg||5¢/kg||Free (A*, AU, BH, CA, CL, CO, E, IL, JO, KR, MA, MX, OM, P, PA, PE, SG)|
|0904.22.80.00||Of the genus Pimenta (including allspice)||kg||Free|
|0905.10.00.00||Neither crushed nor ground||kg||Free|
|0905.20.00.00||Crushed or ground||kg||Free|
|0906||Cinnamon and cinnamon-tree flowers:|
|0906.11.00.00||Cinnamon ( Cinnamomum zeylanicum Blume)||kg||Free|
|0906.20.00.00||Crushed or ground||kg||Free|
|0907||Cloves (whole fruit, cloves and stems):|
|0907.10.00.00||Neither crushed nor ground||kg||Free|
|0907.20.00.00||Crushed or ground||kg||Free|
|0908||Nutmeg, mace and cardamoms:|
|0908.11.00.00||Neither crushed nor ground||kg||Free|
|0908.12.00.00||Crushed or ground||kg||Free|
|0908.21.00.00||Neither crushed nor ground||kg||Free|
|0908.22||Crushed or ground:|
|0908.22.20.00||Bombay or wild mace, ground||kg||7.4¢/kg||Free (A, AU, BH, CA, CL, CO, E, IL, JO, KR, MA, MX, OM, P, PA, PE, SG)|
|0908.31.00.00||Neither crushed nor ground||kg||Free|
|0908.32.00.00||Crushed or ground||kg||Free|
|0909||Seeds of anise, badian, fennel, coriander, cumin or caraway; juniper berries:|
|0909.21.00.00||Neither crushed nor ground||kg||Free|
|0909.22.00.00||Crushed or ground||kg||Free|
|0909.31.00.00||Neither crushed nor ground||kg||Free|
|0909.32.00.00||Crushed or ground||kg||Free|
|0909.61.00.00||Neither crushed nor ground||kg||Free|
|0909.62.00.00||Crushed or ground||kg||Free|
|0910||Ginger, saffron, turmeric (curcuma), thyme, bay leaves, curry and other spices:|
|0910.11.00||Neither crushed nor ground||Free|
|0910.12.00.00||Crushed or ground||kg||1¢/kg||Free (A, AU, BH, CA, CL, CO, E, IL, JO, KR, MA, MX, OM, P, PA, PE, SG)|
|0910.91.00.00||Mixtures referred to in note 1(b) to this chapter||kg||1.9%||Free (A, AU, BH, CA, CL, CO, E, IL, JO, KR, MA, MX, OM, P, PA, PE, SG)|
|0910.99.05.00||Crude or not manufactured||kg||Free|
|0910.99.06.00||Thyme||kg||4.8%||Free (A, AU, BH, CA, CL, CO, E, IL, JO, KR, MA, MX, OM, P, PA, PE, SG)|
|0910.99.07.00||Bay leaves||kg||3.2%||Free (A+, AU, BH, CA, CL, CO, D, E, IL, JO, KR, MA, MX, OM, P, PA, PE, SG)|
|0910.99.20.00||Crude or not manufactured||kg||Free|
|0910.99.40.00||Other||kg||3.4%||Free (A*, AU, BH, CA, CL, CO, E, IL, JO, KR, MA, MX, OM, P, PA, PE, SG)|
|0910.99.60.00||Other||kg||1.9%||Free (A, AU, BH, CA, CL, CO, E, IL, JO, KR, MA, MX, OM, P, PA, PE, SG)|