Build the Infrastructure to help Flexport scale
We are in the process of transforming our monolith Ruby service to a polyglot microservice system. We are rapidly growing our engineering organization across multiple time zones and continents. We are planning to expand our infrastructure across multiple regions over the new few years. The core infrastructure plays a critical role in this journey. We own compute, storage, networking, container orchestration frameworks, and infrastructure pipeline. As the leader of the team, you will work in a highly collaborative and fast-changing environment, and you will lead the team to elevate the organization in every aspect of security, stability, and performance of our services.
- Collaborating with other engineering leaders to define the roadmap for the team
- Manage the team’s execution and deliverables
- Invest in the development and coaching required for the team member’s success.
- Provide guidance on other Infrastructure team’s roadmaps
- Drive availability and performance improvements across all services
- Drive efficient systems and processes: capacity planning and change management
- Drive operational excellence and DevOps culture across the engineering organization
- Understand, investigate and triage production issues and bottlenecks, root cause and help teams to implement solutions to eliminate future incidents
- Collaborate closely with the InfoSec team on security-related projects
You should have:
- Strong technology expertise and experience with Kubernetes and Istio or other service mesh technologies
- Extensive hands-on experience with AWS and infrastructure as code
- Strong experience in building and managing distributed systems
- Extensive experience with various DevOps tools and frameworks
- Experience with complex, enterprise-level architectures
- Extensive experience with Application Performance Management, logging, and other monitoring tools
- Experience of design principles of monitoring and alerting systems
- Proficiency in at least one scripting language (e.g. Ruby, Java, Python, Bash, etc)
- Prior management or technical leadership experience on an infrastructure team
- Strong leadership with the ability to collaborate effectively across the organization
- Grit and a strong ownership mentality
- DevOps and on-call mindset
- Plus: Experience with CI/CD pipeline, GCP, and/or AWS certified solution architect professional
Our continuous releases are integrated with Buildkite and Github. On the frontend, we create our views with React, manage the flow of data with GraphQL/Relay, and test our application with Jest. On the backend, we’re in the process of decoupling our monolithic Rails app. We have introduced a few network isolated services using other languages, such as Java and Clojure. Our data is persisted in Postgres and Redis. Our stack is hosted on AWS using Docker.
Engineering Culture and Values:
Flexport believes global trade can move the human race forward. Our mission is to make global trade easier for everyone. To achieve this, we’re building the “Operating System for Global trade” — a combination of modern, internet era technology & data analytics; logistics infrastructure; and supply chain expertise.
Flexport connects ~10k clients and suppliers across >100 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Founded in 2013, we've raised >$1.3B from SoftBank, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and YC. We’re excited to start seriously scaling up after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank’s Vision Fund early this year.
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s freight forwarding and why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination and shipment of goods from one place to another and it’s what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one-week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.