Senior Analytics Platform Engineer
Flexport is looking for a creative, technically minded Senior Analytics Platform Engineer to solve some of the most challenging data problems in global trade. Data is the heart of our business. You will be part of a team building the foundation for the most up to date information and insights about global supply chains, transportation, and logistics. The platform created by this team will be used to understand the business, operational workflows, and feed predictive machine learning models.
The Analytics Platform Engineering team works alongside Business Data Analytics, Machine Learning, Analytics Engineering, and Business Intelligence teams. We are moving fast to implement a data mesh architecture and to build the analytics platform that will help us get there. The analytics platform will power data and product analytics, reporting, machine learning and data applications for internal as well as customer-facing reporting.
Our ideal candidate has proven experience in building processes and tools that scale and in setting data standards for large and complex enterprises; and is self-motivated and highly analytical.
- Build the tooling and processes that will enable our analysts and analytics engineers to build and manage data product life cycles and reduce time to reliable insights
- Develop and evangelize development standards and best practices for data modeling, curation and ETL
- Design platform for analytics engineers & data analysts that scales with more models and data
- Drive data quality, usability, and self service across the platform by building appropriate processes and tools that are embedded in the development process
- Help the team build, publish, and maintain performant and reliable data models and pipelines for the enterprise gold data mart to power:
- Self-service data consumption throughout the enterprise
- Flexible querying and data visualization
- Advanced analytical and scientific use cases
- 8+ years of work experience building data processing platform development or in building end-end analytics solutions; prior experience at a modern technology company with a well-developed data organization OR a bachelor’s degree in a quantitative field, such as statistics, mathematics, computer science, software engineering, or a related field with 5+ years of industry experience.
- Significant experience architecting, engineering, configuring and deploying big data platforms so that you can evaluate and recommend which new technologies or utilities are needed to meet our customer needs
- Significant experience with dbt (or similar tools) and some experience with Spark-based(or similar) data pipelines
- Advanced skills with writing clean, performant, scalable SQL
- Some experience with Snowflake or Bigquery or similar databases
- Some experience analyzing complex distributed production deployments and be able to make recommendations to optimize performance
- Experience with general-purpose programming (e.g. Python, Java, Go), dealing with a variety of data structures, algorithms, and serialization formats
- Ability to solve ambiguous problems independently
- A "compliance first" attitude in designing the platform to ensure we can support the requirements of operating in a heavily regulated industry
- Detail oriented and excited to learn new skills and tools
- Ability to write clear, concise documentation, and to communicate generally with a high degree of precision
- Passion for data quality and building systems and processes that scale
- Team player with a bias for action and willingness to mentor junior developers
- Empathy for key data management pain points and passion for improving developer productivity and optimizing data engineering workflows
- Demonstrated ability to partner with different types of customers including analytics and data science to build data processing solutions that meet their needs
- Extensive experience in schema design and data modeling strategies (e.g. dimensional modeling, data vault, etc)
- Experience and understanding of DataOps
- Some familiarity with modern BI tools: Looker, Superset, Metabase
- Ingestion: Kafka, Snowpipe, Fivetran, Datacoral, MuleSoft
- Data Warehouse: Snowflake
- Orchestration: Astronomer/Dagster
- Transformation: dbt
- Product Analytics: Amplitude, Fullstory
- BI: Looker, Snowsight
- Reverse ETL: MuleSoft
- Cloud: AWS
- Other: Terraform, Buildkite, Sumo Logic
At Flexport, we believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make it easy and accessible for everyone. We’re shaping the future of a $8.6T industry with solutions powered by innovative technology and exceptional people. Today, companies of all sizes—from emerging brands to Fortune 500s—use Flexport technology to move more than $19B of merchandise across 112 countries a year.
The recent global supply chain crisis has put Flexport center stage as we continue to play a pivotal role in how goods move around the world. At a valuation of $8 billion, we’re experiencing record growth and are proud to have the support of the best investors in the game who believe in our mission, solutions and people. Ready to tackle global challenges that impact business, society, and the environment? Come join us.
Worried about not having any logistics experience?
Don’t be! Our mission is to make global trade easy for everyone. That’s why it’s important to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the global logistics industry forward.
We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about what our tech teams have been up to, head to theEngineering Blog.
- Account Solutions & Implementation
- Business Enablement
- Business Operations
- Client Solutions
- Data Science & Analytics
- Flexport Ecosystem
- General Management
- Global Brand
- IT, Security & Infrastructure
- Office of CEO
- Office of CTO
- Operational Excellence
- Product Management
- Supply Chain Operations
- Technical Program Management
- Trade & Financial Services
- Trade Lane Management, Fulfillment & Procurement
- User Experience
- Workplace & Facilities
- Hong Kong
- Los Angeles
- New York City
- San Francisco